From: Bring A Trailer
As of 06/07/2017 the current bid is $30,000 with 6 days left!!!
- Lot #4581
- Location: Glendale, California 91201
- Chassis: n/a
- 2.8L L28 Inline-Six
- 5-Speed Nissan Competition Gearbox
- Raced by Jim "Fitzy" Fitzgerald When New
- Past IMSA GTU and C Production Competitor
- Campaigned by Adam Carolla Since 2009
- SCCA Logbooks
- Monterey Reunion Participant
- Private Party or Dealer: Private Party
This 1979 Datsun 280ZX was raced from 1980 through 1983 by Jim “Fitzy” Fitzgerald, Paul Newman’s close friend and teammate. Fitzy remains the winningest driver in SCCA history and campaigned this 280ZX in C Production as well as IMSA GTU, including appearances at the C Production Runoffs in 1981, 1982, and 1983. The car has belonged to Adam Carolla since 2009, during which time it was raced by him at the Monterey and Sonoma Historics. A notarized letter from Fitzgerald’s wife is included along with a letter from the previous owner, who purchased the car from the Fitzgerald family. This Nissan vintage racer is now being offered for sale with a current SCCA logbook.
Jim Fitzgerald was given this 280ZX in 1979 after racing Bob Sharp’s then-new 280ZXs that year. The car was prepared by Fitzgerald’s crew in North Carolina for competition in the 1980 season. Photos of the current and Proformax livery the car wore in period are included and shown in the gallery.
This historic racer has been restored and is currently finished in the Tricolor livery worn during GT2/GTU competition. Carolla’s name has been added in white script over the driver’s door.
Power comes from an L28 2.8L inline-six, with documentation of its current specifications included in the gallery below. The current build includes the following:
- L28 blocked overbored .040″ and fine honed
- Block decked and line-honed
- L28 OEM Forged crankshaft which has been balanced, nitrided and magnafluxed
- Carrillo L24 rods
- Cosworth L28 + .040″ pistons
- Piston domes custom machined and fitted to combustion chambers with valve clearances for cam
- Custom camshaft with NMS adjustable sprocket, valve spring retainers and lash pads
- Malvern Racing stainless steel L28 intake and exhaust valves
- Chamfered headbolt holes
- Custom oil system
- OEM 280ZX Turbo oil pump with NMS springs and shimmed relief valve
- N42 “Square Port” heads, fully ported
- Port matched intake manifold
To see the full article click here